Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Sunday, April 15, 2012

Prepping 101

Lately, I have really been thinking about the future. It worries me. I look at my little kids and think about what lies ahead for them. The things they will go through, the things they will see. The scriptures tell us that it won't be easy. While we were in Houston for Spring Break, I was flipping channels at the hotel and came across a TV show...something about "Doomsday Preppers". It really intrigued me! I mean, these people were majorly extreme...we're talking underground bunkers with flame throwers to kill zombies here. But they had some good points. What if there really was some sort of a collapse? It could be any kind, something like the loss of a spouse or a job, to some sort of an EMP (electromagnetic pulse) which would disrupt all of our electronics and really put a damper on things, all the way up to some sort of a global collapse. Are we prepared???

As a member of the LDS church, I have been taught to prepare for the future and become as self reliant as we can. A popular saying is "It wasn't raining when Noah built the ark." Seeing the way things are turning in the world have put me almost into a panic mode. Will I be able to care and provide for my family? I just saw on the news that the Spokesperson for Walmart has just said that prices are going to raise dramatically. CRAP! I have been working on building up our food storage, but there is still a lot we can improve on.
I found this clip on Youtube, by Glenn Beck. Now...Glen Beck is someone you either love or hate. There doesn't seem to be much of a middle ground. However, whether you love him or hate him, this segment really stopped me in my tracks. I really feel it was inspired, and that we all need to listen to it, write it down and begin to practice it. This is his "advice" to prepare for a collapse. I have written it down and will use it as a checklist for my family to start practicing. Just a few to intrigue you:

- Grow your own food
-Try to learn to be as electronic free as you can (this is big...so much of our lives now revolve around the internet, our cell phones, our ipads, eBooks, etc. I know I just about lose my mind if the internet is down for ONE day!!!)
- Educate yourself at all times.
- Don't look for labels, they will be meaningless.
- Learn older lost practices: mending, canning, farming, learn how to fix an engine
- Teach your children work ethic.
- Be honorable in ALL of your dealings.
- Learn to do with less NOW. Teach your children to do with less NOW. (It won't be as big of a shock to them in the future)

These are just a few! Really...just excellent advice! It's a great first step to becoming prepared. I promise you'll be hearing a lot more from me on "prepping". I will go over 72 hour kits, Emergency Backpacks (I call them Bug Out Bags), food storage and self reliance. Do you have anything in particular you want to know about? Shoot me a comment and I'll get back to you!



Photobucket

1 people leaving some love!:

Unknown said...

Good stuff! Me and my sister in law have a blog called ourjourneytoselfreliance.blogspot.com I am in charge of organizing a self-reliance fair for our area in June it will be super fun! Glad to see this on your site...now I am going to listen to video you posted.