Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Apology

First off, let me say that I am SOOOO sorry for anyone that I offended with my "Prepping Up With NatSprat" post on the 72 hour kit. I had no idea that it would offend people, or make them want to stop reading my blog. I've never received a negative comment before, so it's hitting me pretty hard.  I do put my heart and soul into my blog. I spent 12 hours putting together that post...I was so excited about it. I don't want to sound like a crazy extremist/alarmist, I'm not preparing for a zombie apocalypse...I just never want to be put into a situation where I can not provide for or take care of my children. Being prepared is something that is very important to me. You see, we lived in Houston when hurricane Ike hit. It was one of the scariest experiences I have ever been through. Even just a few days before, the isles of the grocery stores were out of food, water and other necessities. Just...EMPTY. People were frantically trying to get food and supplies for their family before the storm hit. We had food storage, a generator with extra fuel, water, flashlights, batteries...all that kind of stuff so we didn't need to stress about that. However, when the hurricane hit it was nerve wrecking staying up all night listening to the winds howl, the lighting crash, the wind throwing things against the windows. I couldn't watch the news to get updates...it was just dark and scary. After the storm passed, there were thousands and thousands of people without power, food or water. Our power came on just a day later, so we were some of the lucky ones.  But it was sad to watch the news and see the HUGE lines of exhausted people waiting for food and water. They stood in line for hours with crying babies on their hips and anxious little kids in the muggy heat. All for the basic necessities. Because we were prepared, we didn't have to do that. We were even able to lend out the generator to others who still didn't have power a week later. To make a long story short, I learned the value of being prepared. However, I now realize that it isn't important to some others and I don't want you to feel like I'm cramming it down your throat. So, for now, I'll stop my "Prepping With NatSprat" posts. Maybe I'll start up a completely different blog for that. I don't know. Either way, I am just sooo sorry. 


Photobucket

24 people leaving some love!:

Mik said...

I just went and read your prepping post after seeing this post and I think you don't really have anything to apologize for. In response to the offended reader, I don't know what your religion is, but that's neither here nor there. I'm not religious and I think being prepared is smart. I live in AK and let me tell you, in some parts of the state, if you're not prepared, you can really suffer especially during the winter months. Great post and thanks for the reminder to get my kits together for the summer. We travel by boat to our cabin a lot and It's time to refresh my emergency supplies.

Stephanie said...

Hi Natalie,

I was one of the people who posted on your blog about the prepping post (it's the first one I see under the comments of that post). I posted anonymously but never intended to offend you by my post. I hope I did not! I am just such a nervous nelly and read blogs through google reader mostly for entertainment and inspiration. I hope I came off as respectful in my post because I truly do love reading your blog and will continue to do so :)

marie said...

Hi Natalie,
Just a quick note to say that while I don't agree with everything everyone puts on their blog...I would never suggest that someone not use their blog for whatever (legal) purpose they choose to.

If there's a post that doesn't interest me I just skip it.

So you post whatever you feel you're being led to post...including your "prepping" posts. They're very informative by the way.

I haven't been visiting your blog for very long but I've enjoyed reading it!

Mike & Rachel Barton said...

You have no need to apologize, Nat. People can choose what they read and they can choose whether or not to be offended, even though you're the last person on earth who wants to offend anyone.

This is your blog, anyway, and you can choose what you put on it. I wouldn't change your agenda just for one person.

Alicia said...

Don't worry about offending anyone. Personally, I think it was a great post and anyone who gets offended by a great tutorial on how to be prepared is naive and in denial. I wouldn't stop because a few people are too blind to see the benefit of being prepared for a natural disaster.

*Steph* said...

I've been reading (and enjoying) your blog for a bit, and I don't normally comment, but I can't help myself on this one.
I don't think an apology is necessary. I regularly read several blogs, and I sometimes find a post that I don't "love". I normally just skip that post. Don't read it. Because I don't have to. (For the record, I read your prep post and thought it was a great idea - not at all offensive)
I think that complaining about what someone else writes on their blog is like inviting yourself over to their home, and then complaining that their decor bothers you. It's just silly.
Don't you worry about the folks who try to discourage. Continue to write about what is on your heart, regardless of topic.
Your readers appreciate your honesty.

The Harline Family said...

Honestly I can not believe that someone would actually leave a comment like that. Excuse my language but SCREW them!!! You wanting to be prepared has nothing to do with your religion! I honestly don't think that you should stop with those kinds of posts. It is generous of you to share your ideas and tips like that. If it bothers someone oh well. You can't always please everyone. I think knowing you are doing everything you can to help others is better than worrying about offending someone. Especially when they shouldn't be getting offended by something like this. One day they are going to regret that they didn't take head to your advice! Honestly this made me realize how much work I have to get done with regards to 72 hour kits and what not. PLEASE keep stuff like this coming! That was the best "tutorial" that I have come across with ideas on what should go into a 72 hour kit! Don't be scared to share ideas like this. It is going to help way more people than you could imagine! Besides this is YOUR BLOG you can write about whatever the heck you want!

Unknown said...

I don't think you should ever have to apologize for something you put on your own blog! This is your personal space! I think it is very useful to know about and have an emergency supply kit. If others don't feel it's important or something they don't want to read, then it's simple they can just skip right over it, and there is no need for them to comment about it!

No Worries Nat! Keep your head up! I enjoy reading your posts!

Tausha Wierlo said...

You know what - I read this and got INSTANTLY pissed! People have NO RIGHT to be negative to you! It's your blog, you can write about WHATEVER THE FRICK you want to!
Screw them.
Seriously.
People are idiots. I think your post was informational, and straight to the point. How could you get upset about that?
Ug. I did the 'Love Dare' for 40 days, and have seriously over 20 emails telling me I shouldn't be proclaiming what can make a marriage work when I'm not a professional.
"Uhm, hello. I didn't invite you to my blog. Stay the F away if you don't like it!".
People are stupid - don't let them put you down. Your blog is AMAZING.

Aaron and Izzie said...

Nat I love your blog, I love blogs because they are personal to whoever writes them. As readers we are free to pass on posts we are less interested in...

erika @ life unfluffed said...

Natalie, this is YOUR blog. Not theirs! You can write about any little thing you want. If they stop reading because of it, perhaps they weren't someone you need to worry about catering to anyway.
Just be your cute self! Talk about whatever you want. I love your blog--all of it! Especially the being prepared posts.
It doesn't matter what religion people are (or aren't)... We're all human and we'll all need food and other necessities if a tragedy does happen to us. I don't get what religion has to do with anything.

Julie Kay said...

No apology necessary. And, shame on that anonymous commenter. I grew up in Kansas and live in Oklahoma where I have seen plenty of devastation from tornados and flooding. It's an incredibly practical idea to have a bag of necessities for when disaster strikes. I used to keep a bag on hand for storm season, but stopped packing it a couple of years ago. Your post reminded me that I should get that bag packed again just in case we find ourselves in a situation without food or electricity (even if it's only for a day!). With a three year old and a newborn due end of May it really would be wise to be prepared! I appreciated your post and I absolutely did not feel that you were cramming post-apocolyptic type stuff down our throats. I say forget the haters and stay true to yourself. Post what matters to you too.

Nicole@Thrifty Decorating said...

Don't even stop them because people complain....that's just plain crazy! I thought that you post was excellent!:)

Christine said...

I thought your post was super informative :)

My aunt lives in Bermuda and she has explained to me many times the stuff they need to do to prep for big storms and hurricanes.

Have a great evening!!!
xoxo

Lori said...

Girl, this is your blog and you should be able to write anything you want. I'm not a real planner but I wish I was. I thought your post was very informative. Keep being yourself. I love to read all about it.
Love you girl!!!

Jennifer said...

Natalie, I've been reading your blog for a looong time now, and part of that is because you write such unique things - I actually went back to read your prepping post comments, I found the post to be useful and well written - I appreciate the time, energy and thought you put into it.. If people take a personal approach and reconsider your blog and can't see the effort and time as well as genuine concern for your family and others by helping them be prepared.. thats their loss. Isn't it ironic that those "negative" comments are usually from the anonymous people? Keep up the GREAT work, I love your blog, projects, and overall positive attitude :)

Donna Leavitt said...

So sorry you had negative feedback. I really enjoyed your post and learned from it. Some people can be so mean.

The Mursets said...

I honestly can't believe people were offended by your 72 hour kit post. Holy smokes people.

I am glad you talked about your hurricane situation in Texas....if you would have been all carefree and unprepared your babies would have been cold and hungry. Natural disasters can happen ANYWHERE. What does it hurt you to be a little prepared.

We have always been big on food storage and saving. Has some great famine happened? No, but when we lost our business and were out of work for a year, did we starve? No we had plenty of food and were able to use our savings to get by for a long time.

I read an article about putting together a kit in Parent's magazine a few months ago. I am 95% sure she is not part of our religion, but wanted to prepare her family just in case.

Sheesh people, don't get offended so easily. If you don't won't to prepare then don't, that is your choice.

Julie said...

Dear Nat,

This is your blog. You write what YOU want to write about. If people don't like what you are writing about, they can skip that post or skip over to another blog. People don't have to believe what you do or like what you like or make what you make or do or look like you or anything else to enjoy your blog. The whole fun of blog surfing is looking at the world in different ways or giving you ideas on things that you never would have thought of. I love you. You are not an extremist in the freaky way at all. Weirdos don't have fruit by the yard or Cinnamon Toast Crunch bars in their emergency kits. However, I will say that you have your stuff WAY more elaborate and organized than most people do and your poor kids will need to be on mega mass to be able to hoist those backpacks up let alone run away with them on. Ha, ha. Are there people who think planning for emergencies is unnecessary? For sure. But who cares? You my dear owe nobody an apology.

Dana said...

I am sorry that you feel that you need to apologize. A big part of being "religious" is about being "prepared." So...

Beck said...

Please don't stop your "Prepping" posts! I find them very informative and desire to do them for my family! I feel that some people are just in denial about what is happening out in the world with weather and whatnot. An anonymous comment should not prevent you from using your freedom to post whatever you (and several others, in fact) deem important. Hang in there.Ignore the negative criticism. You obviously have a lot of loyal supporters out there judging by the comments you've received. Keep up the WONDERFUL posts!

Anonymous said...

I loved your prepping post because my current disaster kit ONLY includes the mascara ;)
In all seriousness I really will be putting together some essentials and your practical list that doesn't require a pickup truck makes this much more of a can-do project!
Thanks, Cindy

miss.e.motional said...

Oh my gosh, Natalie. You have nothing to apologize for! I totally understand that sick feeling you probably had in your stomach after reading a negative comment (people have left some for me before too, and OUCH it hurts!!). I hope you keep on writing whatever the heck you want to. It's your blog, your life. We don't HAVE to read it, we choose to because it's awesome. Have a great day! Melissa

Family of Five said...

Love both your blogs!