Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Easy DIY Pumpkins


Photobucket

It's definitely fall here in Colorado! And I have that incredible itch to bring fall inside the house! I tried the beautifully colored leaves from outside....but the kids thought they'd make great confetti. So...plan B called for making something of my own! These have been SUPER popular lately! I swear...I'm seeing them all over blog land! (Hiiii Lolly Jane!)

We have this HUGE pile of old fence posts in our backyard. They were there when we bought the house. I've been eying them for a while because I knew there was something awesome that could be made from them. they're all old and weathered...totally perfect! So, I played the Fairy Godmother and Bippity Boppity Boo'd them into pumpkins! And the best part is, they won't fall apart and rot at midnight. ;)

I'm not kidding, it was SOOO easy! Anyone can do it! All I did was take my wood post and cut it into three different sizes. We don't have any fancy mitre saws or table saws or anything, so I went out there with the regular hand saw and got to work. (Man...that's a good work out!) I'm pretty sure my 80 year old neighbor thought I was crazy. But I was loving it.

Then, I painted them different shades of red and orange and brown mixed together. After they dried I sanded the edges and sides a little to get the wood to show through.

Last of all, I found 3 pieces of old gnarly branches from outside and stuck them onto the pumpkins with thin nails that I nailed into the top of the pumpkin. With a tiny drill bit, I drilled into the "stems" so there was a hole to fit the nail into. That's it!!! It took me about an hour TOTAL. (I know, right!?!)

*If all of my yapping didn't make any sense, go see my homies at Lolly Jane for a great tutorial!*

I love how they look on my newly fall-ish decorated entry table!

Photobucket

Now...go make some! And then, give yourself a big pat on the back and blog about it so I can see your creation in all it's glory! YOU CAN DO IT!!!

Photobucket
Linked up to:

Naptime Crafters
All Things Thrifty
Tatertots and Jello
DIY by Design
Trendy Treehouse
Eisy Morgan
Someday Crafts
Family Ever After

10 people leaving some love!:

Lara Zierke said...

So cute. I made similar pumpkins using Maria's tutorial and 4 x 4's. WHy does autumn make me feel so crafty?

Anonymous said...

Those are so incredibly cute. I have some kind of like that but I bought them years ago...can't claim to have made them. Yours are much cuter :)

Lolly Jane said...

bah yours are DARLING!! why oh WHY can't we be neighbors?! we could have made them together and had some laughs along the way!!

love your bippity boppity transformation!! (:

XOXOXO

The Yoder's Five said...

Cute, Nat! How handy to just have some old fence posts lying around!!

I need to get out my fall stuff...Mark still thinks it's too soon...

Anonymous said...

These are sooooo freaking adorable! If it weren't for my fear of handling a saw or a drill then I would make them tomorrow! If only we lived closer then I could have you make some cutie pumpkins for me. ;) Great job on the awesome Fall decor, Nat!

Heather Hemingway said...

What a good idea! If you are not the ward Enrichment leader, you should be!

Brooke Ulrich said...

How cute are those?! Thank you for linking up to my All Things Spooky series! xoxo!

Christina at I Gotta Create! said...

I just adore the natural look of these! Very creative. I would love for you to share them at my Halloween link party at http://igottacreate.blogspot.com

Lindy@Itsy Bitsy Paper said...

Really Cute! Love them I would love for you to link up to my Wickedly Creative Halloween Ideas Party.
www.itsybitsypaperblog.com

Marji Roy said...

Rustic, stylish, and not too cutsey. I like them!