Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Pillowcase Tutorial

Has anyone else been drooling over the Pottery Barn Star Wars bedding? I have. And it's EXPENSIVE!!!! So, I was thinking to myself, "I bet I could make my own." I mean, it's no Pottery Barn or anything, but it'll do. And it's SUPER EASY!!! So, here we go!

First, you'll need a pillowcase. I got a solid blue one at Walmart for about $2.50. Then, you'll need some felt. It's easy to find and inexpensive. Pick the color you want and hurry home! You'll want to wash/dry and flat iron it if it's wrinkled. ;) ( I swear, that's the hardest part because I can't wait to get started on my project!)

First Step: You find an image online that you want. Save it, and open it with your picture editing software, or even something like Microsoft Word Processor. You flip the image so it's a mirror image, and then you make it as big as you want. Mine was just "Star Wars" text.


Step 2: take a sheet of felt (mine was 49 cents at Walmart) and carefully tape it to the top of your screen. With a pen or marker, LIGHTLY trace the image onto the felt.



Step 3: Cut out the image with your scissors.



Step 4 (OPTIONAL): I wanted a more finished look to my design, so I just stitched the edges. You don't have to if you don't want to.


Step 5: Since it's felt and it will likely fray and get nasty, put some Fray Check along the edges. It will make the edges stiff and keep the shape better. Don't know what Fray Check is? You can find it at any sewing store or Walmart. It's very inexpensive and it awesome stuff.It looks like this:

Step 6: No sewing involved, so don't be scared! All you'll do is glue the pieces on with your hot glue gun! See? Easy peasy. Once you've got them in place, you can kind of lift up the corners and edges and make sure they're glued down tight.



And now you're all done!


I have so many plans for making more pillows...the possibilities are endless!!! This is my next project...I can't wait! :)




7 people leaving some love!:

The Yoder's Five said...

So cute! I love the flower pillow, too. I seriously need to make something crafty today.

Kathy said...

So cute! You did a great job. And just fyi, felt doesn't really fray. It will pill, but it won't fray.

Natalie said...

@Kathy: Really!?! Dang, that's good to know! I thought the edges would get all fuzzy and nasty!

Katie @ EyeSpyDIY said...

How great is that pillow? My husband may need one of those! Thanks for showing the tutorial!

Unknown said...

My boys would LOVE it...and yes, I've been drooling, too. :)

Maggie said...

Oh goodness. This might be exactly what my boyfriend receives for his birthday this year. Thanks for sharing!

glamourpuss said...

I found your link on Between U & Me - the Star Wars logo caught my eye, and I thought you might like this: http://musingsofaglamourpuss.blogspot.com/2011/02/millenium-falcon-cake.html Great job on the pillow!! :)