Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Sunday, April 3, 2011

Quick Living Room Change Up


Woo hooo! It's done! I finished my living room change up. Wanna see what I've been up to? First, let's start with my inspiration.

Once upon a time a few weeks ago, I was at Joann.com looking at fabric for throw pillows. That's all my living room needed...throw pillows. And then, I saw THIS. And I'm pretty sure I heard angels singing...

It was PERFECT! My living room walls are a creamy yellow (Glidden paint color called upside down pineapple cake) I love that it's neutral, but colorful. So pretty and cheery!


...and my kitchen/dining room walls are red (Better Homes and Gardens Red Garnet).


So, seriously, this fabric was perfect. It ties in with both. I ordered 3 yards (thank you 40% off coupon!) and got to work. The first thing I made were some throw pillows for the couch.

I'm still debating on whether to just leave them be, or add some accents to the pillows like flowers or a ruffle down the side or middle.

Then, I made a basket liner for our huge basket in our entry way table, which secretly holds all the diapers and wipes! So sneaky, I know.


I still have about a yard left, but with the scraps I had I made more rosettes, (big shocker, I know) and glued them onto a picture frame.


I got this frame at Walmart a few years back for about $5, but I'm pretty sure they still sell this exact same frame. I spray painted it with Krylon Blue Ocean Breeze, let it dry, and then with a fine grit sandpaper I roughed up the bumps and edges. So, it went from this:



to THIS!


such an easy fix, I can't believe the change!

Then, I decided to go raid the thrift store here (again). I found some incredible finds! Like these birds for less than $2 for both...

They were both white, so I spray painted one the same blue as the frame.

And I found this cloche for another $1.50 and spray painted the base Krylon Bright Idea :

Now, put it all together and what do you get???

THIS!
I LOOOVE how it all turned out! Love the splash of colors, love that it was super inexpensive and easy to do, and love that I can share it with you! Isn't it amazing what some fabric and spray paint can do? Now, hopefully you guys have your creative change up juices going...so go find something to spray paint! On your mark....get set....GO!!! (Dude...and tell me what you did when you're done!)

18 people leaving some love!:

TeenaBugg38 said...

I LOVE how it all turned out! The frame is sooo fun and pretty! The color definately brought it back to life!!! And also really love your paint choices....I am having a hard time on deciding on colors for my scrap room...I have something saved almost the same color as your yellow......I keep changing my mind but keep coming right back to that one.....I guess its meant to be.....lol

Aimee said...

So cute! Great ideas.

Megan Gunyan said...

I love all your fun color! That fabric is perfect and I'm so loving your frame. Great job!!

Sarah said...

I love the peaks of reds and blues. Such a cute frame with the rosettes!

Lindsay said...

I have been spray painting things like it's going out of style lately! Your little changes look fantastic :)

Unknown said...

Perfect fabric! I love it and would let the pillow just as is! Your wall color is gorgeous and those birds were a major score! Awesome!

Sarah @ This Crazy Blessed Life said...

So cute! I have so many ideas on things to do, but time always gets in the way! I can't wait to start sticking some fabric rosettes all over things!

Anonymous said...

The colors are so happy, I love them!

The Yoder's Five said...

Oooo nice job on the basket liner! What a great idea!

And btw, your craft fairy vomit mess is quite tame compared to what MY craft fairy vomit mess usually ends up being when I make something.

I'm excited that you got a Silhouette!!!

Elisabeth (and Tyler) said...

I'm in love, I'm in love and I don't care who knows it!!! You are inspiring me.. But I'm still so scared to fail! I've never spray painted anything, but I think I should start..

Echo said...

We just moved, and are in the process of trying to decorate our living/dining room. Your Quick Change Up has REALLY inspired me. I think I'm going to try to spruce up our area with some Joel Dewberry fabric (in yellow and gray, which is what our wall colors are). I hope it turns out! Thank you for all the great ideas!!

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! I am totally in love with that fabric! And the whole living room motif--beautiful! I've been itching paint our old kitchen table and spruce it up a bit, and I'm thinking spray paint might be a good option. If you've ever done this before or have any tips, send 'em my way! ;)

PS--Love the fabric rosettes. I'm a bit obsessed with them, myself.... :)

Julie @ Just Julie said...

Love that fabric! It all looks so great! You have got me into making fabric rosettes. Yesterday I watched at least 3 episodes of Army Wives on Netflix while I kept making them! I also love spray paint - just turned a frame from goodwill into an earring display holder.

Heather said...

This turned out stunning! I love the blue and I used that same fabric for my car seat cover. LOVE IT on so many levels. Like, I've contemplated making a skirt out of it because it is just so cute. Great job!

Jennica said...

So I was just blogstocking and stumbled upon yours. I have to tell you I have this exact fabric for an apron and my family room is yellow and my kitchen is red with some splashes of turquois. Wow!!! Great minds. You have a darling blog. Great job.

Chereebee said...

Hey, just wondering what color yellow you used??

Natalie said...

@Cherrebee: The yellow spray paint I used was Krylon Bright Idea. :) It's such a great color, isn't it!

Allison Fraser said...

I love everything! Can I ask where you got the table? I've been looking for something similar and I'm having such a hard time.

Thanks!