Yesterday we were at the mall, and we were passing Master Cuts and Michael reminded me that I had mentioned that I would like to get my hair cut. So, I was like "oh yeah!" and decided to go in and get a nice little trim. I was thinking maybe an inch or so off with some layers or something. No big deal. After leaving the mall in tears, feeling as if I had just lost a limb somehow, I would like to share some things I've learned from my experience.
1. Make sure your hair cutter person speaks ENGLISH. (or whatever language you speak will be fine.)
2. If you are trying to explain to her what you want and she has this blank look and just keeps nodding and then says something to the hair cutter lady next to her in spanish...something is wrong.
3. Take a good look at your hair cutter lady's hair. If her hair cut looks bad, chances are she did it herself and yours will look bad, too.
4. When the chunks of hair falling to the floor are definitely LONGER than what you thought they should be (mine were like 6 inches)...instead of trying to convince yourself that she's a hair dresser, she knows what she's doing and it will all turn out okay, STOP HER! Simply tell her that's a little too much!!! Or a lot too much and take the scissors away from her.
5. And when she keeps cutting it shorter on shorter on each side to make one side match the other just tell her it looks fine and book it out of there.
6. When she is finally done making both sides even and asks "you like?" and you absolutely can't believe that that is actually your head with that horrible hair doo, it's okay to burst into tears. In my case, I didn't say anything because I was just trying not to throw up, wrote her a check as fast as I could and turned and ran out in tears.
7. If you see someone with the beautiful haircut that you thought you were supposed to get, instead of bursting into tears again and wanting to beat her up, just turn and look the other way. Yours will grow out again....though it may be years....like....three or four years.....it will grow back. (sigh)
If I could find the darn USB cable for my camera I'd put up a lovely picture of my new much shorter and really freaky hair cut for you.
Sunday, June 1, 2008
Posted by Natalie at 6:54 PM