Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Sunday, September 2, 2012

A {WILD} Bedroom Makeover


Yes....another bedroom makeover. And I swear if I see another paint roller I will scream! Okay...that's a lie, because I love room makeovers! Would you like to see what I've done so far?

Whitney is turning 9 this month and getting her own room. She was previously sharing with Kate, but this whole waking up early for school thing just isn't working because Kate is a MONSTER if she doesn't get enough sleep. So, I told Whitney that I was going to let her choose her own bedroom design. She looked around and decided that she wanted a zebra theme room since zebras are her favorite animal. So...we started pulling all of the ideas together. 

My friend Gina scoured the internet and she found this picture:
 (Thank you, Gina!!!)

And Whitney jumped up and said (well, more like jumped up and shrieked), "THAT'S IT!!! OH MY GOSH, I LOVE IT!" And I had to admit, it was pretty dang cute. 


First step was letting her pick the paint for her room. She ended up picking Benjamin Moore Peony.


Then, after more looking around we found this zebra head from Anthropologie.

 
She wanted it soooo bad. But for $70!?! HECK.NO! So, I took all of the cereal bags out of the cereal boxes in the house, got out my scissors and glue gun and got to work. 9 hours later there was a giant paper mache zebra head hanging on her wall!




 It's not quite as cute as the Anthropologie one...but she's still thrilled with it. And so am I. I kept squealing out loud as it all came together...I couldn't believe I had made it! I am pretty dang proud of myself.

Then, I found zebra bedding at Walmart...which, surprisingly is really cute and really good quality! 
We are going to pair it with some hot pink sheets.


Still on our "to find list" is a great big black chandelier wall decal...

Or a real one...this one is at Target!


And some cute zebra wall art like some zebra print canvases
Or a giant zebra vinyl wall decal....
 

And some cute throw pillows (hellooo etsy!)



That's it for now! I'll tell you about the dresser makeover in my next post, but it's not quite finished yet! I love how it's all coming together, though.


So...whadda'ya think? Do you know of any fun things to add to the room?

16 people leaving some love!:

Anonymous said...

That zebra head is crazy swedome! I can't even imagine how tedious that must have been! And you could totally make that pillow with a big old felt flower on top. You're just that good. ;)

Kristen said...

I think the zebra picture in the inspiration room is from Ikea. So it might not be too expensive to get the real thing. Just wanted to let you know!

Unknown said...

That sounds like it will be pretty dang awesome. Good job, Nat!

Natalie said...

OOh, thanks, Kristen! I'll look into it! Oh how I wish I had an Ikea close by...

Unknown said...

You did so good! I would have never thought to try and tackle that zebra head myself:) So you said dresser makeover and I keep picturing this dresser I have seen over and over on Pinterest - black exterior but when you open the drawers you see the pink drawers. Excited to see what you have done!

Unknown said...

Wow! Looks awesome and that zebra head is AMAZING! You should be so proud of yourself!

~Bekah said...

OMG IF I WAS 9 again or even 19 I would soooo want this!!! We are in the process of trying to sell our completely remodeled home for a bigger one because we want to add to our family and need space to do so and I'm goin decor/deign crazy with ideas!! Lol

The Mursets said...

Hold up...you MADE that zebra head?!?!?! IT IS SO AWESOME! I am not sure I would even know where to start! The room looks fabulous, and prefect for a 9 year old! I bet she is so glad to have the coolest, most talented mom!

Melissa said...

You are so talented! What a cute room!

The Yoder's Five said...

Nice job on the zebra!! Paper mache is something I've never even tried before. Love it! Whitney's a lucky girl to have such a creative mama.

Family of Five said...

adorable! Love the zebra head!

D said...

Love the design and i'm so impressed with the zebra! If you need a black vinyl chandelier I have a cutter and do projects for people all the time, it would be easy to whip one up for pretty cheap. My email address is brentanddeena@hotmail.com if you're interested :)

Sunae said...

I'm a new lover of your blog and found it through your cupcake pin cushion tutorial which i found on pinterest. Just thought i'd leave a comment to say well done on the zebra head - it looks amazing! Also to let you know how much I love your blog and your pin cushions!

Jill said...

You can get the chandelier (sp?) decal from MICHAEL'S! Use a 40% off coupon. They are $20 before coupon. :)

Hanna said...

I am super impressed by the zebra head! Go you!

Jolene Fine said...

Love the room!